Saturday, 24 March 2012

Keep running


“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles and let us run with perseverance the race marked out to us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him, endured the cross, scorning its shame and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart”- Hebrews 12:1-3 (NIV)

Whenever I read these verses, I often picture myself to be in a race. A race in which there are several hindrances, several temptations. As I keep running I look towards my left and I see all my problems, my sicknesses, my weaknesses, my failures and towards the right I see sin trying to lure me towards itself. I keep looking here and there and all of a sudden the problems start growing bigger and bigger and sin slowly creeps towards me and entangles me. I try to run but I feel as if I’m bound. I lose my hope, I’m weak and I give up. That’s when I happen to look ahead, straight ahead and I see Jesus, with His arms open wide calling out to me. And then my eyes open and I remember the cross, the cross with all its shame and pain that Jesus bore for my sake. As I remember this I feel as if I’m gaining strength, I rise up with my eyes fixed on Him. I can see Him smiling. I try to run but the hindrances are still there. With no second thought I lift it up and throw it away and in the same manner I cut away from sin that has by now entangled me completely, and I set my feet to run. I start running and wow I can run now. I look ahead and Jesus is still there waiting for me. And I’m running towards Him, with my eyes fixed on Him and one day I’ll be in His arms.

These beautiful verses (Hebrews 12:1-3) have always encouraged me whenever I have felt tired and I’m about to lose heart. It is very easy to keep talking about your problems, to be a pessimist, to give excuses, to fall prey to sin but remember that by doing so you are leaving the race incomplete, the race that has been marked out exclusively for you. Look towards Jesus, consider all the things that He endured on the cross so as to have the complete joy of sitting at the right hand side of the throne of God, His Father. Jesus ignored all the pain just because he was thoroughly excited and thrilled about being seated with His Father in the heavenlies. Jesus probably must have kept dreaming and must have been looking forward for this all the time when He was on planet Earth.

You and I have just to do the same as Jesus. Follow His example. Think of what God, the Father has kept in store for us and ignore the troubles of this world. After all we are co- heirs with Christ, the children of God. So as you keep running throwing away the obstacles and the sin that entangles you and as you reach the finish line, you are going to receive a huge round of applause and a standing ovation by God, the Father, Jesus, all the angels and other heavenly beings. And yes the rewards and crowns will follow. Isn’t this exciting?

Don’t give up, keep running! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...